Thursday, December 18, 2014

WATCHING AND READING MOVIES

From the Right-Side...

Watching movies around our place suddenly became much deeper and meaningful, thanks to Wiki.

The Left-Side has become a narrator of sorts, much like Carrie Bradshaw in the Sex and the City series. Well, something like that, with a male voice, and more interesting.

Let me explain.
Before reality tv, we had this.


The other evening I decided to watch an older movie with Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda called; Yours, Mine and Ours. I understand, from the Left-Side, that a new version came on the scene a few years ago, but forget that one.

The premise of this 'true story' was the blending of two families with a load of kiddies, eighteen to be precise. Keep in mind, this was before the hell that is reality television and that Duggar bunch with nineteen spawns.

Suddenly, as Lucy and Hank were getting more than chummy, the Left-Side began to read to me from Wiki (THE only source of info).

As the written story unfolded, we discovered some fun factoids. The Brady Bunch could have been inspired from this bunch, and the movie version was only partially accurate (shocker). All the holes in the story of the North and Beardsley merger were filled in. Things we desperately needed to know such as, the couple did not meet by accident in a grocery store, but corresponded to console each other in their time of grief. They had both lost spouses. I prefer the grocery story version, personally, is it not as sad.

Reality shows could learn a lesson here. They air their scripted reality drivel, and we read the true reality on TMZ or DListed while watching. Perfect.

I now want a narration with every semi-true movie (I don't watch reality very much) I view. The Left-Side has created a new source of entertainment, just like that.

Maybe we could start a cottage industry. The scrunchy was born under less impressive circumstances.

Gotta dash...

##

Thanks for the shout-out, Right-Side. I am sure many would find it annoying to "fact check" the movies. Personally, a big red flag goes up for me when I see the words, "Inspired by true events." I head straight for the Wiki to get the straight scoop. You don't mind Hollywood has to embellish the story a little to sell tickets; just don't hype the "true" word so much. I think for me it stems from my days on the newspaper copy desk, when it was my job to challenge what reporters had written -- grammar, facts and otherwise. With all the media we have these days, it's almost impossible to separate the truth from the fiction. Still, who knew it could become its own form of entertainment? Stay tuned for more installments of "RS and LS at the Movies." Later! -- LS

No comments:

Post a Comment