Thursday, July 23, 2015

MASHED! TELEVISION ENSEMBLES SHOULD NEVER CHANGE

From The Right-Side...

Thanks to Netflix, watching shows you have never viewed, or even heard of in some cases, has become quite simple.

But, watching these shows makes me curious.

Cheers to original ensembles!

M*A*S*H, the television show with Alan Alda, and a cast of many, is one I have been watching late at night when my insomnia rears its head into my head.

I am on Season Four, and the show has lost Wayne Rogers and McLean Stevenson.

While their replacements are perfectly fine, it is too bad the change happened.

Ego, money, boredom, lack of good writing, lack of screen time are probably issues actors face and manage throughout their careers. But, a show designed around an ensemble, needs the ensemble to really click.

The Korean War saga clicks well enough, but the tone did change when the curtain came up on the new Colonel (Potter) and the new Doctor (BJ).

So, I have to wonder what kind of show M*A*S*H would have been throughout its run with the original cast.

I adore an ensemble. Some of favorite shows are built around a strong group with individual quirks.

Watching the antics in Korea created a curious state-of-mind, and I wondered about other shows.

Would the 60's Dick Van Dyke (Mary Tyler Moore) show have been the same without; Jerry, Millie, Buddy and Sally?

Trying to imagine the show Frasier without; Daphne, Miles, Martin, Roz and Bulldog is impossible. I mean, even Eddie (yes, I know he was played by a couple of hounds, but just go with me) rounded out this zany group.

Perish the thought of an I Love Lucy show without the original Fred and Ethel!

But, thanks to Netflix, I will continue to dig around old television shows for groovy ensembles!

Gotta dash...

##


No comments:

Post a Comment