Tuesday, January 20, 2015

IMITATION GAME, EQUALITY AND THE SUPREME COURT OF 2015

From the Right-Side...

The Left-Side and I sauntered to the movie theater yesterday to catch Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley in The Imitation Game.

Alan Turing, code-breaking genius.

How the Enigma Code was broken fascinates me, but I knew little of Alan Turing. I am a nerd, just not a computer one.

Considered by many as the father of computers, he was a troubled, mathematical genius with a secret beyond the Germans.

How little I really knew, so, roll the film...

First, Keira Knightley was understated, yet gave depth of character to Joan Clarke. At a time when most working women made coffee, worked a switchboard, or took dictation, Clarke carved a niche for herself in a world of war and men.

Previously, not a Cumberbatch fan, I left the theater knowing I had underrated  the actor. He was brilliant and heartbreaking as Turing.

By the conclusion of the film, I was filled with tremendous respect for his talent and deep sadness and outrage for the suffering and personal cruelty the real Turing experienced until his suicide in 1954.

A man who helped break the Enigma Code, saved countless lives, cut a war short by several years, was not honored during his lifetime,  but tormented for his sexual preference. Gay was illegal in Great Britain, and he paid the price.

Leaving the theater, my mood was dark, and I needed to vent to the Left-Side.

Opting for fish and chips (a hat tip to Great Britain) at our al fresco, post-movie late lunch, I gazed at the gorgeous South Florida afternoon and reflected.

This blog post is not about my personal opinions on war and social injustice of the past and present. However, equality and personal freedom is not taken lightly by me, and should be of great importance to each human on this plant.

As the Supreme Court is about to take a look at equality for all in this country, it was not lost on me that in many ways we have come far from the angst-driven genius that was part of this film. Yet, have we?

Supreme judges, it is in your hands.

Justice is what you are all about, so don't imitate past injustice...make it right!

##






No comments:

Post a Comment