Thursday, January 22, 2015

THE AMERICANIZATION OF THE BRITISH CHEESE AND PICKLE SANDWICH

From the Right-Side...

A cheese and pickle sandwich by any other name, is still a cheese and pickle sandwich. But, is it?

The Americanization of the cheese and pickle sandwich.


British food does not exactly have the reputation for being exotic.  Aside from the traditional breakfast, which I greatly enjoy, it seems sort of basic. But, watching a BBC show called, As Time Goes By, my interest in the cuisine across the pond has been genuinely  piqued.

Two particular items keep popping into the scenes and I had to know more about Custard Tarts, and cheese and pickle sandwiches.
Grilled pickle and cheese sandwich.

So, without a hint of research, I made a cheese and pickle sandwich. I decided to take a stab at it with American cheese and Wickles relish. What do I know?

Afterwards, I looked up the proper way to make it according to the Brits. Yeah, I did not do it right. Wrong cheese and wrong pickled cucumbers.

First, it is a must to use something called Branston Pickles, which have been gracing bread and cheese since 1922.

Second, you use Cheddar Cheese.

Third, there was no mention of grilling, which I did.

Fourth, until I can secure some Branston Pickles, my American version of a cheese and pickles sandwich will do just fine.

My next mission?

Tackle those Custard Tarts, with a recipe in hand. The results should be amusing, if not successful.

Gotta dash...

##

When it comes to pickles, Right-Side is quite the connoisseur. But I have to interject (that's the Left-Side's job description, right??) on this topic. Seriously? Before we go shopping in Jolly Old England, how about trying one of those sandwiches made with some good old, 100% American, Tony Packo pickles?  When we lived in the mid-West (?), we made several pilgrimages to Packo World Headquarters in Toledo, just to get the pickles. I bet they are every bit as good as that uppity Branston brand. 

Now that we have that out of the way, let me know when you need someone to sample those tarts.

##







No comments:

Post a Comment