Monday, November 3, 2014

CRUST AND TOAST, IT IS NATIONAL SANDWICH DAY

From the Right-Side (referring to my moniker for the purposes of this blog, nothing more)...

The Left-Side is doing what he does best, paying for delicious appetizers at a lovely place in New York City called, Rue. I love a table full of small food after a walk in Central Park.
The Left-Side (his moniker for the purposes of this blog).
But, today we shove aside platters of this-n-that because it is a day of celebration.

Okay, everyday is a National Day of some sort, and I have no problem with celebrating your favorite flower, pet or cocktail.

Today, we give a nod to ingredients shoved between slices of bread . National Sandwich Day, it is your day to shine.

Forget peanut butter and jelly (bleh), my favorites include: Tuna melt; grilled avocado, tomato and cheese and grilled chicken and cheese. Oh, I do not like crusts, so off they come, if I use bread. I admit, I like the inside ingredients much more than the actual glue (the bread). If I use bread, I like Hawaiian Rolls the most. Oh, I don't like toast.

Could tomorrow be National Appetizer Day so we can talk more about my true food obsession?

Will the Left-Side clash with me and say he loves all sandwiches? 

Gotta dash,
The Right-Side

##

From The Left-Side... Before getting into the merits of crust vs. crustless, maybe it's a good idea to review just where the idea of forming food into a sandwich actually started. So, thanks to our good friend Wikipedia:

"It was named after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, an 18th-century English aristocrat. It is said that he ordered his valet to bring him meat tucked between two pieces of bread, and others began to order "the same as Sandwich!" It is commonly said that Lord Sandwich was fond of this form of food because it allowed him to continue playing cards, particularly cribbage, while eating, without using a fork, and without getting his cards greasy from eating meat with his bare hands."

Too bad he didn't file a patent. Think about all those royalties his royal ancestors could claim.

At any rate, when it comes to sandwiches, I'm pretty easy to please. Crust is OK, if it's soft, but just don't pile too much in between the bread. Make them too big and you can't get them in your mouth.

My favorite as a kid was always jelly and bread (still a good choice). But my taste now include tuna salad, chicken salad, turkey and swiss, smoked ham, honey ham, BBQ-anything and loving those sliders.

BTW, Business Insider published "The Best Sandwich From Every State" today. The state sandwich for Florida? The Cuban, of course!

But one thing the Right Side well knows -- make sure I have plenty of napkins. I can, on occasion, spill or drop something on my clothes. Right, Rightie?

##

Right!

We Clash...then, Dash!





No comments:

Post a Comment