Friday, June 12, 2015

FRAGRANCE FREE WORLD, IS NOT FOR ME

From The Right-Side...

Ugh, I spy another trend.

A FRAGRANCE free world is trying to happen.
Fragrance is everywhere.

Many are wildly applauding as signs are being posted in a slew (interpret that as you will) of establishments proclaiming an "FF" Zone.

Okay.

How, exactly, does this work?

Oh, I understand the premise...people are nasally offended, allergic or just busy deeply inhaling their surroundings. So, those who have no odors on their bodies want the world to tone down the lotions, perfumes, colognes and after-shaves. Understood. Less is more.

The perplexing thing is how do controlling people control the scents of others, and where does it end?

Who, exactly, gets to define fragrance?

I mean the world is filled with odors. Step outside, inhale.

Yeah, fragrances of all sorts, and many are a great deal more offensive than the sort sprayed from a designer bottle, or scrunched into our hair.

Say someone walks several blocks to a Fragrance-Free lunch spot. It is 90 degrees, with 80 percent humidity. Think they are fragrance free when they step through the door? Are they welcome to have a seat and a bite of lunch?

Ever been in a confined space with those who shun potions (scented or non-scented) such as deodorant? Makes me want to assault them with a large bottle of Febreeze.

Personally, my nose hurts, and my eyes water when I walk through a heavy veil of cigarette smoke as people gather on a sidewalk, just outside the door of Smoke-Free haunts. I hold my breath and keep walking. I don't approve, but I can not control their actions.

Fragrance is perpetual. Cars emit fumes, trees, onions and garlic simmering in a favorite restaurant, flowers, the ocean, the air...are all about scent. People emit scents, with or without the aid of anything artificial.

Sorry, I don't think it is possible to have a fragrance-free zone. Smells evoke powerful memories and emotions in the heart and mind. How sad if we could not experience those feelings.

The world smells.

Deal with it, but go ahead and keep trying to control every damned thing. The thought of dwelling in a world devoid of  a variety of smells makes me laugh a little. How very boring.

Gotta dash...

##





No comments:

Post a Comment